Monday, March 7, 2011

Random crap-o-la

So I've been beating these old boxes for quite some time now and I STILL use a lot of the
old DOS stuff I used to use years ago...  One of my favorites is compiling file/directory lists
into text files... (Useful for posting movie/music lists)

Open command prompt (start>run>cmd.exe)

Navigate to the folder with all the directories:
C:\> cd Movies

Now, run the dir command with a few switches to make it look clean:
C:\Movies\> dir /B /X > C:\Movie_List.txt
C:\Movies\>
The > Tells cmd.exe to skip stdout and write the results in the file "Movie_List.txt"

Now, if you have multiple directories and you want to continue onto the same file:
C:\Movies\> D:
D:\> cd Movies
D:\Movies\> dir /B /X >> C:\Movie_List.txt
D:\Movies\>

The >> tells cmd.exe to skip stdout and APPEND the results to "Movie_List.txt"

Just type exit to close the box...

There is SOOOO much more you can do, just thought I'd share
one of my favorites with you :)  Perhaps I'll share more in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment